The best food for the brain and a powerhouse of essential nutrients, almonds are nature’s blessing for us. Most of us munch on almonds occasionally and only during festivities, but we rarely take into consideration the Goodness of Almond Oil. In this article, we will read about the health benefits of almond oil for hair, skin, and overall health.
Almond Oil is extracted from the edible seeds called almonds from the Prunus Dulcis Tree (Almond Tree). Almonds are rich in fat and hence can be used for the extraction of oil. There are sweet and bitter varieties of almonds. While the sweet ones are eaten as nuts or used to make oils and cosmetics, the bitter ones have medicinal properties. But bitter almonds need to be processed properly as they are toxic.
Best Almond Oil
Almond oil is either refined or unrefined. After the seeds are harvested from the trees, they are hulled and dried. Thereafter, different methods are used for oil extraction. The refined oil is extracted from almonds using a high-heat processing technology along with some chemicals. Refined almond oil has lesser nutritional content than compared to the unrefined process as many nutrients are destroyed because of the high heat. Unrefined almond oil is extracted by cold-pressing raw almonds without using high heat or chemicals. Unrefined natural oil is rich in nutrients and a good choice for culinary preparations.
Almonds are loaded with protein, omega-3 fatty acids, dietary fiber, vitamin E, and plenty of other nutrients helpful for the healthy functioning of the human body. A handful of almonds per day help to reduce weight as they make you feel fuller for a long time. They are highly beneficial in reducing bad cholesterol in the body thereby promoting heart health. Munching on almonds early in the morning makes you feel energetic the whole day. These are excellent for those suffering from diabetes as they help in reducing blood sugar levels. They are easy-to-snack options for children as one can carry them everywhere
But the nutritional value of almond oil is less than whole almonds as the seeds have to be processed for the extraction process. Below is the nutritional breakup of 1 tablespoon or 14 gm of almond oil:
- Calories: 119
- Total fat: 13.5 grams
- Saturated fat: 1.1 grams
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.4 grams
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3 grams
- Vitamin E: 26% of the RDI
- Phytosterols:9 mg
- Monounsaturated fat: 70%
- Polyunsaturated fat: 20%
- Saturated fat: 10%
Health Benefits of Almond Oil
- Almond oil contains 70% of monosaturated fat, and hence lowers the risk of heart disease.
- Monosaturated fats also increase the levels of good cholesterol. Almond oil has been proven to lower levels of bad cholesterol in the body.
- Almond oil is high in antioxidants and vitamin E. Just one tablespoon of almond oil covers 26% of the RDI of vitamin E in the body. Vitamin E is a group of compounds in the body rich in antioxidants. These fight against the free radicals in the body, that cause oxidative damage.
- Almond oil is helpful in blood sugar control.
- It aids in weight loss when eaten with a less-calorie diet.
Almond Oil Benefits for Your Skin and Hair
- Almond oil is often used in natural beauty products. It is a mild and soothing oil that is beneficial for hair and skin both. It contains emollient properties that help prevent water loss from the skin. Regular oil of almond oil keeps the skin hydrated and soft.
- It can be used by people who have dry or sensitive skin.
- The high Vitamin E quotient in the oil prevents your skin from premature aging and sun damage.
- Almond oil is also used to prevent the spread of stretch marks.
- It can also be used as a gentle makeup remover.
- You can also use almond oil for massaging hair and scalp to get a nourished look.
Uses of Almond Oil
This multipurpose oil can be used in food preparations and also as a Skincare and Haircare product. The nutty flavor of this oil adds a great taste to many salads or dishes. You should use only refined natural oil for cooking as unrefined one cannot be subjected to high cooking temperatures. Unrefined almond oil can be used as a dressing in salads or to add a finishing touch to your dishes. Refined almond oil has a smoke point of 215 degrees Celsius and it can be used for sautéing, roasting, or in gravies.
You can use this amazing oil for your Skincare and Haircare. You can swap some of your beauty products for almond oil as it is natural, non-toxic, and beneficial. It is less expensive than most moisturizers and is chemical-free. It can be used both on hair and skin. You can use it as a moisturizer for dry skin. You can use it to massage directly into your hair. Combining almond oil with other essential oils to get the best results.
Almond Oil Benefits are plenty for skin, hair, beauty, and overall health. Use this oil in your cooking preparations and local applications on skin and hair for the best results.