Have you been trying various home remedies to get flawless skin and healthy hair? In your kitchen remedies list, you might have missed the humble castor oil. This underestimated oil is surprisingly beneficial and nutritious too. Known as Erandi Oil in India, this vegetable oil has long since been hidden from our beauty remedies. Let us read more about this wonderful oil that is chemical-free and affordable.
What is Castor Oil?
Castor Oil is a pale yellow liquid extracted from castor seeds. It is packed with antioxidants that can easily help solve most of your hair and skin problems. This oil had been used in ancient times for skin and hair-related issues. It contains Omega 6 & 9, Vitamin E, and proteins; the key components responsible for healthy hair growth and supple skin. Regular use of castor oil can help prevent premature greying of hair, hair fall, and other scalp-related issues. It also boosts hair growth. Similarly, castor oil helps treat acne, pigmentation, and aging. The oil has a high concentration of unsaturated fatty acids that make this oil so beneficial.
Uses of Castor Oil
- Castor oil is a vegetable oil that is used as a base in a wide range of medicines and cosmetic products.
- Castor oil has immense health benefits for the skin and hair.
- Some people also take castor oil as a laxative.
- Castor oil is also used as an active ingredient in some household cleaning products and paints.
- This oil is also very useful in treating digestive issues.
Nutritional Value of Castor Oil
- Ribonucleic Acid – 95 to 85%
- Oleic Acid – 6 to 2 %
- Linoleic Acid – 5 to 1 %
- Linolenic Acid – 1 to 0.5 %
- Stearic Acid – 1 to 0.5%
- Palmitic Acid – 1 to 0.5%
- Dihydroxystearic acid – 0.5 to 0.3%
How to Select the Best Castor Oils?
Before buying castor oil, you need to keep certain factors in your mind to ensure that you are investing in an authentic product:-
Certified Label – You might find cheaper variations of this oil sold by several local manufacturers. But authenticity and hygiene are a concern in such industries. Always pick up brands with a certified label. Look for products with the USDA Certified Organic label. It is always better to buy organic castor oil as it is obtained from seeds grown in a natural environment without using any fertilizers.
Purity – Read the purity quotient mentioned at the back of the oil bottle. It should be 100% pure with no artificial additives, fragrances, alcohol, or chemicals.
Grade – Various grades are given to such consumer products. Castor oil is available in two grades: AA standard or pale pressed ones and Imported.
- AA standard or pale pressed: This type of oil is obtained from the first pressing of the castor seeds. It is also known as virgin oil. This is a cold-pressed oil with maximum quality and purity.
- Imported: The first pressed oil is mixed with the next batch of seeds.
Hexane-free – Avoid castor oil containing hexane. It is a chemical solvent used to extract oil from seeds. It also introduces many impurities into the oil. You should always buy castor oil without hexane.
Types of Castor Oil
There are three types of Castor Oil:-
- Organic or Cold-Pressed Castor Oil – this oil is also known as virgin or pure castor oil. It is a light pale yellow-hued liquid that is extracted directly from the seeds without using any heat.
- Hydrogenated Castor Oil – This oil is also known as Castor Wax. It is produced by the hydrogenation process with the use of a catalyst such as nickel.
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil – This variety is prepared by roasting and then crushing the castor seeds in a mortar. After that water is added to the mixture and it is slow-boiled to get black-hued castor oil.
Benefits of Castor Oil
Castor Oil for the Skin:-
- Castor oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties which are useful in reducing acne. The ribonucleic acid in the oil inhibits bacterial growth that causes acne.
- Castor oil is richer in fatty acids which increases the smoothness and softness of the facial skin.
- Fatty acids in castor oil promote the growth of healthy skin and restore uneven skin tone.
- Castor oil does not clog the pores of the facial skin and reduces the problem of blackheads.
- Castor oil contains triglycerides which help to maintain the moisture in the skin.
- It treats wrinkles and prevents aging.
Castor Oil for the Hair:-
- It is an excellent nourishing oil for hair and scalp. Castor oil speeds up the process of Hair Growth and also prevents hair fall.
- It enriches your scalp and gives you shiny hair.
- The ribonucleic and omega-6 fatty acids when massaged into the scalp, penetrate deep inside your hair follicles, giving you healthy hair growth.
- As the oil is very thick, it naturally conditions your hair.
Castor Oil for the Health:-
- Castor oil is an effective remedy for constipation. It is taken as a laxative as it helps relax the muscles of the intestinal walls and helps them to push out the stool, thereby relieving constipation.
- It promotes wound healing. Applying castor oil to wounds helps create a moist environment and prevents your sores from drying out.
- It stimulates the growth of new tissue and reduces dryness and the buildup of dead skin cells.
- It has powerful anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain and burning when applied to wounds and open sores.
- It has strong anti-fungal properties and helps fight mouth Candida, thereby keeping it healthy.
- It is also used by pregnant women as it has labor-inducing properties.
Switch to castor oil from costly cosmetics for your face and skin to ensure healthy and glowing skin free from acne and bacteria. Ensure that you buy the best type of castor oil that is pure and organic. Keep this always in your house as a beneficial skin, hair, and health remedy.